We Are Trees

Wednesday, June 26

"They delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do." -Psalms 1:2-6



Recently I have begun really working on the area of my faith in studying the Word and prayer. I have lacked in my prayer life, and also in my study of the scripture. As of late, my disciple, who was assigned to me through a discipleship program at Church Project (which I will post about later on), and I have begun our study in Psalms. We will be using the Psalms as a book of prayer, and also dissecting it for my better understanding of scripture. I want to share how awesome this piece of Psalms 1 is. Not only did God use it to further confirm my need for a strong knowledge and understanding of scripture, but also my meditation on it in my everyday life, from work, school, church, or ministry.

"They delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night." Believers of Christ who desire to know their Father should not only desire His word, but we should be in constant meditation of it. Of course this verse uses the word 'law,' which we know His law is simply His word, the bible. We are to delight in His word. We should find joy in it because it is God in the form of His words. He has given us such an intimate piece of Him, by allowing us to understand His nature through the bible. Secondly, "meditating on it day and night" should be a consistent part of our life. That doesn't necessarily mean drop down on your hands and knees, while you're grocery shopping (unless the Spirit happens to do that), but rather be constantly obeying, receiving, and resonating on His word. Lately, I have seen the Lord use His word to move me at work, to teach me while I'm driving, or to simply be reminding me of His goodness in the random parts of my day. To meditate on His word means for it to be on your heart; it means for it to really sink in, and not just go in one ear and out the other.

Verse 3-6 is really just beautiful. Not only does God use His creation to move us, but He uses beauty in words to captivate us. For someone like me who loves language and words, He uses poetry and figurative language to make our hearts want to listen. "They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do." We are trees. For anyone who has read scripture, you know that everything bears fruit, but fruit isn't always good. We want our lives and our faith to bear fruits of the Spirit, patience, kindness, love, wisdom, righteousness. We, as believers, should want our lives to be an image of God. In scripture, He will always teach us and show us our hearts in return. The end of Psalms 1 will show what will happen with a life of wickedness, but this beautiful part of Psalms 1 portrays the grace and fulfillment of a life seeking Him. By delighting in His word, reading and studying the scripture, understanding His perfect law, and meditating on it, He makes our hearts full. He makes us like trees that never wither. With obedience and understanding, we are able to bear good fruit and be delightful to Him. The seasons in our life will be bearing those good fruits. Although they may not always be easy, comfortable, or joyful, we can trust in knowing God's promises; that He is a God who desires for us to know Him intimately and passionately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SIMPLE GROUNDS All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger